Honda shadow 600 carbutation


  • Hi guys,

    I have a 98 single carb vt600. This is the config that I actually got:
    - Dragtron filter from a shovelhead, like this one: https://www.rustygaragecagliari.com/prodotto/filtro-aria-dragtron-air-cleaner-harley-davidson-per-carburatore-bendix-keihin-tillotson/  (I discovered afterwards from one of TJ's videos that these kind of filters mess up your carburation and they're not optimal)

    - Silencer-free pipes
    - Pilot jet from 45 to 47, the rest is stock

    I feel like my carburation is messed up, in fact when I pulled out the sparkplugs I found that the front cylinder is running rich and the back one is running lean. I checked the intake manifold and I didn't find any leaks or cracks, the carb was overhauled one year ago with new gaskets, o rings and jet needle.

    The bike doesn't run bad, other than hearing some bangs(not loudly and not frequently) when I decelerate.
    The other day I tried to start the bike and it seemed like only the back cylinder was working. I pulled out the sparkplugs and the front ones were black and the back ones looked fine, as the image shows:


    I cleaned all four sparkplugs, put them back in, and the both cylinders run, although I noticed some black smoke coming front the front cylinder pipe when I started it again and accellerated a little bit.
    Again, I know I'm not running a very good configuration, especially with the air filter, but I don't have the original one and I would like to fix it with what I have, given that I plan to sell the bike. I also thought that maybe I should run a higher density foam inside the filter, because I think the main problem is the air that the carb takes in, and not the jets(maybe I'm wrong, or maybe it's both things).

    Do you have any suggestion?

    Thank you!



Please login to reply to this topic!